Griffiths Allen was founded to assist the conveyancing profession, or those professionals involved in the property sector, with their Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) and Land Transaction Tax (LTT) compliance obligations. We also specialise in SDLT and LTT planning and advisory projects across both residential and commercial sectors.
The services we offer help those professionals that need pointing in the right legislative direction, only require a second opinion on a matter they have not dealt with in a while, or need help with only a small part of a much larger transaction to enable them to file the required return with the tax authority correctly and on time. There are times when seeking Counsel’s opinion on these matters is akin to using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
We understand that dealing with these matters can be time consuming and costly for the busy professional, especially if the issue is not identified at the time the fee is quoted, the professional works on a fixed fee basis, or they had simply anticipated it to be a straight forward transaction or conveyance. Even if SDLT and LTT is `carved out` of the agreed terms of engagement with a client, the professional is still left with the unenviable task of filing the appropriate return with HMRC which can leave them in a rather vulnerable position. There have been so many amendments to the tax legislation over the last few years that it can be very difficult to keep up with the constant change. We therefore offer a range of fixed fee retainer services to help you get it right so both the professional and their client knows where they stand and there are no unwanted surprises.
- Assisting over 150 conveyancing firms throughout the UK with their SDLT and LTT compliance and audit trail obligations for the CQS.
- Successfully defending a number of high value professional negligence claims against conveyancers.
- Winning a number of technical arguments with HMRC resulting in substantial savings of SDLT for our conveyancing clients’ client base.
- Securing a large number of SDLT and LTT refunds for the general public at a time when no refunds were calculated or expected.
- Writing the SDLT and LTT content of The Conveyancing Practice-2019 Update for The Law Society.
Griffiths Allen was founded in 2016, under a B2B model, to assist the conveyancing profession, or those professionals involved in the property sector, with their Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) and Land Transaction Tax (LTT) compliance obligations. This mainly arose due to what we perceived to be a lack of good quality tax advice aimed at the conveyancing profession in the marketplace. We now have over 150 conveyancing firms that use our services on a regular basis and this grows monthly.